Monday, May 02, 2005

Monday Morning Encouragement - May 2, 2005

It’s another Monday morning and believe it or not, May is already here. Today I wanted to talk to you about striving for excellence in all that you do.

I don’t know what kind of a student you were in school? My academic pursuits could best be described as “average.” When I graduated high school I graduated with a grade point average of 2.86. If you recall on the grading scale anything between 2.0 and 2.99 is a “C” also known as average. My parents have recounted to me many a teacher’s conference in which they were told, “he can do the work, he just doesn’t apply himself…one of these days he’ll grow up and decide he wants to accomplish something.” Of course in my defense, if getting out of work could have gotten you a letter grade, I would have been a straight “A” student in the fine art of slacking.

So this begs the question…does striving for excellence make a difference? Let me answer that question with a second question. When you go out to a restaurant or store, is there not a better quality of service from those who strive for excellence in their service of you from those who just give you average effort? The quest for excellence permeates every area of a person’s life. It is evident in their relationships, their productivity and their overall level of morale.

As a Christian, there is an even greater reason to strive for excellence in all that we do. Our work is not just a reflection upon us, but more importantly is a reflection upon God Himself.

Psalm 37:5 (NLT)
Commit everything you do to the Lord.
Trust him, and he will help you.

Think of it this way. If I go to a store and the clerk treats me with indifference, a poor attitude, or provides less than quality service I am left with not only a poor impression of the employee, but I have a less than favorable view of the store as well.

When we commit all that we do to God, He instills in us a desire for excellence. We strive to do our very best so that He receives the glory for our work. Conducting our work with excellence is another way of expressing our love to God. Your employer may be signing your paycheck and doing your performance review, but ultimately it is God who you are working for.

So today strive to be the best engineer, nurse, teacher, homemaker, secretary, student or laborer that you can be. If you dig ditches, strive to dig ditches better than anyone. If you file papers, strive to file better than anyone. One day we all we receive the ultimate performance review as we stand before God. Give Him ample reason to say “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.
Carl

No comments: