Monday, September 05, 2005

Good morning! Today being Labor Day, I’m sure many of you are planning to spend time with family and friends. Labor Day is typically a day of campouts, barbeque and laughter. Today, however, many will be fighting for their very survival as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

Many of us have been glued to our televisions over the past week watching the devastation and suffering. So what is our response supposed to be when faced with these types of needs? Does the Bible offer any guidance?

Matthew 25:31-40 (NLT)
"But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit upon his glorious throne. [32] All the nations will be gathered in his presence, and he will separate them as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. [33] He will place the sheep at his right hand and the goats at his left. [34] Then the King will say to those on the right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. [35] For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. [36] I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.'
[37] "Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? [38] Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? [39] When did we ever see you sick or in prison, and visit you?' [40] And the King will tell them, 'I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'


This morning I want to challenge you to be more than a spectator, I challenge you to get your hands dirty. So what can you do?

Pray – Spend time praying for those who have been devastated by this disaster. Pray for the orphans, the widows, the sick, the destitute. Ask God to move on their behalf to bring comfort and healing and His loving touch. Ask God to show you what you need to be doing…offer yourself to Him for service.

Give – The easiest thing to give is your money. Every dollar counts, even now our denomination’s disaster relief teams are providing over 300,000 meals per day. What about your time? People will be needed to help clean up, pack up, feed, build and just be a friend. Could this be you? Take that other week of vacation and volunteer your time and talents.

Open your home – Got an extra bedroom? Offer to house a family who has lost everything. Work with your church or a local disaster relief agency to identify those who need a roof over their head.

At some point all of us will face a crisis of some sort…weather, health, business, war, etc… When the time comes you will be thankful for those who have given of themselves to care for you. Today commit yourself to being a blessing for those who are hurting.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours.

Carl

No comments: