Sunday, December 18, 2005

What Else Could Go Wrong?

Good morning! I hope you have gotten your Christmas shopping nearly completed by now. I am usually a last minute shopper, but this year I got my act together much earlier, so I am almost finished. Miracles never cease!

Have you ever been through a time in your life where it seemed like everything hit you at once? Before one crisis was resolved another one surfaced. At times like this you’re afraid to ask “what next?”, because you don’t really want to know what else might fall apart.

For me this past week fit that category. Many of those around me were dealing with serious issues that took their toll on my life as well. By last Tuesday I was afraid to raise my head for fear of what other crisis might be coming my direction.

In the midst of all of this turmoil and crisis I watched God move in amazing ways. I was reminded that even when life is at its worst, God is always at His best. The Apostle Paul experienced times like this as seen in the following passage:

2 Corinthians 4:8-9 (NLT)

We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed and broken. We are perplexed, but we don't give up and quit. [9] We are hunted down, but God never abandons us. We get knocked down, but we get up again and keep going.

When I was at my lowest points this past week, God provided the wise counsel and encouragement of close friends and family. When I needed a shot of encouragement, I received the kind words of friends and strangers. Most importantly God re-energized me through my prayer and devotional times.

It reminds me that I would never know the depths of God’s love if I didn’t hit the depths of life’s turmoil. I would never know the fullness of God’s strength if I was not at my weakest. It is during these times of heat and pressure that God shapes me. My life becomes a more accurate reflection of His glory as I pass through the refining fire.

So what keeps us going during these times? It is the assurance that God has not been caught off guard by our circumstances. He has seen our troubles even before they began. We can rest assured that God is building into us a character that reflects His true glory.

This week if you are under pressure...remember God has not abandoned you. He is still on the throne and His plan for your life will not be thwarted by your current circumstances. You are being refined and purified for His glory.

Until next Monday may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: