Monday, July 23, 2007

Opening the Containers

Good morning! I hope your day is off to a great start.

Over the weekend, I had the privilege of spending time with the Christian band Ornan’s Floor. Last night was their final concert in our area before they headed to Denver, Colorado. Once their set was finished it was time to tear down. I was fascinated watching a stage full of instruments and sound equipment being packed into large rolling crates and containers. Before long the whole setup was loaded into a small cargo trailer and the band was ready to move on.

This process got me to thinking about life. As a person, my heart has many compartments. Some compartments are readily accessible to those around me and others I keep well hidden. More importantly there are compartments that I willingly allow God to have access to, but others that I try to keep under lock and key.

These locked areas can contain a wide assortment of feelings, emotions and experiences. Some days it’s a deep hurt. Other days it’s a feeling of guilt and yet others it’s prideful arrogance. It is these locked containers and compartments that hold my hidden sins and spiritually destructive attitudes.

One of the most difficult things for any of us to undertake is a complete inventory and revealing of those compartments…yet it is also one of the most liberating things we can do. Take a look at David’s prayer as recorded in Psalm 139:

Psalm 139:23 (NLT)

Search me, O God, and know my heart;

test me and know my thoughts.

When we give God permission to search our hearts, He will do a very thorough job. He will point out those compartments that have been locked for a long time. He will bring those things that are hidden into the light, allowing us the opportunity to deal with them.

In the end, all that remains are those things that deepen our relationship with God and give us greater strength and vitality for life.

Today I want to challenge you to open up the compartments of your heart. You may find a few busted guitar strings and worn out drum heads. Turn those things over to God and He will make you ready to play great music on the stage of life.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: