Monday, August 27, 2007

A New Chapter

Good morning! I hope you had a great weekend and are off to a great start this morning.

Today is the first day of school in Corpus Christi. But in our home today is also a day of milestones. For my oldest son, Christopher, it is the first day of his senior year in high school. For my youngest, Caitlyn, it is the first day of kindergarten. For my wife, Carol, it is the first time in 10 years that there has not been a little one at home with her all day.

Milestones, we all experience them in our life. Losing our first tooth, our first kiss, our first job, our first car, graduation from high school, our wedding, the birth of our first child and the list goes on. Milestones can be occasion for both joy and sorrow. Most importantly they signify the beginning of a new chapter in life, bringing the last chapter to a close.

So how do we respond to these milestones in our lives? For me the starting point is always a time of saying “thank you” unto God.

Philippians 1:3 (NLT)
Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God.

Today as I watched my own children, I was reminded that my parents went through these same stages with me, as did their parents with them. I am thankful that they guided me through those stages of life, that they celebrated my victories, corrected my errors and defined the boundaries for the game of life. As I watch my own children I see God’s hand upon their lives in spite of my own shortcomings, and I see Him molding their hearts and lives in accordance with His purpose.

I am thankful for the privilege I have been given of watching these young lives grow. I can vividly remember the day I first laid eyes on each one as they entered this world. I have watched them grow in stature, knowledge and faith. There is no greater privilege or responsibility than being God’s vessel in the life of a child.

It is important to remember at these times of transition, that the journey is far from over; however our roles are changing. Today I find myself acknowledging, that even though I am still a parent, I have allowed others to be a part of my team. Teachers, coaches and other professionals will work along side of my wife and I to bring out the fullness of the potential contained within my children.

Today you may find yourself at the end of one chapter and the beginning of the next. Embrace the change as part of greater plan woven together by a Master Creator. Thank God for the privilege He has given you of these experiences and milestones. Through you, God is writing another highly acclaimed story.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: