Monday, November 05, 2007

Maintaining Your Enthusiasm

Good morning! I hope you had a relaxing weekend and have started your week off with enthusiasm and energy.

Life can be so complicated at times. We set out wide-eyed and eager on the various journeys that we are called to, but inevitably the trials and tribulations come. Even the most optimistic and upbeat person can lose their enthusiasm if they are not careful to guard their heart.

Over the last several weeks I had found myself in just such a place. My awakening point, if you will, was an email from a dear friend who simply asked: “Where has your enthusiasm gone?” My friend continued to observe that I was adrift in a sea of negativity…and she was right!!! In a recent phone call with my mentor, I asked the question: “How do you keep moving forward when there is no wind left in your sails.” Before I give you the counsel of this wise man (he once told me that he is bald, because there is so much contained in his mind), I want to share this verse with you:

Ephesians 6:7 (NLT)

Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.

My mentor gave me this same advice. He helped me to see that I was basing my enthusiasm on the response of others and not on the one for whom I work. To put it simply I was finding myself worn down by the response of others to the things the Lord is asking me to do. In reality, the only thing that truly matters is that I be faithful to His leading and put the response of others in His hands.

I already knew that I “perform” for an audience of One, but sometimes the divide between knowing it and living it can be expansive. I had to readjust my focus. I had to clarify who it is that I must please. The bottom line is…it is God!!! Wow, what a breakthrough….what a relief….what a burden lifted!!!

It is so much simpler when I focus solely on Him. I am finding a renewed excitement and enthusiasm. My focus is no longer on polls and approval ratings, but is instead back on the one I truly work for.

This week you may find that your enthusiasm is a bit lacking. I encourage you to take a few moments and refocus on who it is you truly work for. When you put your eyes back on him your work will become a joy and you will once again become exceedingly enthusiastic.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: