Monday, March 03, 2008

The fish had nothing to fear

Good morning! I hope you had a great weekend.

Most people who know me also know that fishing is one of my favorite hobbies. I enjoy being out near the water with a rod and reel in hand. I use my fishing time to draw close to God in prayer and thought.

Those closest to me also know that I am not always the most productive fisherman; however, my productivity does not affect my love for the sport. Lately I have been fishing an area that has great promise, but my results have been disappointing. I have been watching the other fisherman and have noticed a couple of kayak fisherman lately. These guys paddle out a few hundred yards and drop their lines. Needless to say their results have been much more productive than mine simply because of their mobility.

Not being one to be outdone this past week I purchased an inflatable fishing raft (complete with rod holders and gear storage). This past Saturday I took the S.S. YouveGot2BKidding out for her maiden voyage. Air pump…check, oars…check, fishing rods…check, tackle….check, bait….check, life jacket….check, competency with the craft….not even close, familiarity with the craft…you get the idea.

As I was preparing to go out on the water a front began to move through and the wind picked up. By the time I got on the water for every foot I rowed forward, the wind pushed me 2 more to the side. By the end of my maiden voyage, I had lost one inflatable cushion, one oar retention ring, a whole lot of pride and I walked my boat 200 along the shoreline back to my truck. The fish were safe that day for sure!!!

Never one to miss out on a teachable moment, I found some great lessons in this comical inaugural launching:

Philippians 3:17 (NLT)
Dear brothers and sisters, pattern your lives after mine, and learn from those who follow our example.

First of all, take the time to learn from those who are already doing the job well. In my case I would have been better off to have spent some time refreshing my knowledge and skills. I haven’t operated an inflatable craft on open water in nearly 20 years. My skills and my memory of my skills are two separate things.

Proverbs 16:32 (NLT)
It is better to be patient than powerful; it is better to have self-control than to conquer a city.

Secondarily, it is important to take your time. No matter what you are undertaking, you will not become an expert overnight. It may take you weeks, months or even years to develop new skills to the point of proficiency. Let the vision of desired outcomes be your motivation for pressing on through the process of learning.

This week you may find that your visions of productive fishing end up being a knee high romp back to shore with your boat in tow. Don’t fret, you will have more opportunities to cast out again and in due time the fish will have reason worry once again.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

1 comment:

Duke said...

Peace be with you Carl as well as all those reading this message.
The time has come.
I am here to bring judgment to the living and the dead. Spread the news, the harvest is ripe.

The Faithful Witness