Monday, May 19, 2008

No Longer Afraid

Good morning! I hope you had a refreshing weekend.

Every person has within them dreams of greater things. This may be a dream to own their own business, to travel the world, to settle down with the love of their life or to set out on a great adventure. So what is it that keeps so many locked in to a mediocre existence? Why do so many forsake their dreams without even making an attempt at fulfilling them. The primary reason is fear!

All of us wrestle with fear in some form or another. We fear failure, ridicule, embarrassment and rejection just to name a few. For others it is physical fears such as flying, heights, spiders or darkness. These fears are not only very real to us, but they can be paralyzing.

Today, I want to share with you a verse that can help you overcome your fears and begin the pursuit of your dreams:

Psalm 27:1 (NLT)
A psalm of David.

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
so why should I be afraid?
The Lord protects me from danger—
so why should I tremble?

They key to overcoming your fears is connecting with the One who supersedes those fears. One of my favorite questions I ask those who are searching for direction and purpose in life is this: “If you knew you couldn’t fail and money were no object, what would you be doing for God right now?” I ask this question to help unlock the dreams that have lain dormant for so long. Once those dreams are unlocked, the key is overcoming the fear issues that locked it away in the first place.

Here is the great part about tapping into God’s power. The fears that have paralyzed us can be eliminated. This happens in two ways. First of all when we realize that God’s strength is sufficient to overcome any obstacle, then we can have confidence that even when we are beyond the scope of our perceived abilities, we are not beyond the scope of His true power. If God is clearing the way for you to pursue what He has put deep within you, then nothing is going to stand in your way.

The second way we get beyond our fears is dying to ourselves. The Bible says this about truly living:

Galatians 2:19-20 (NLT)
For when I tried to keep the law, I realized I could never earn God’s approval. So I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ. [20] I myself no longer live, but Christ lives in me. So I live my life in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

As a follower of Jesus Christ, we have made a decision to die to ourselves so that Christ lives through us. Here is an amazing truth…if you will truly grab hold of it. I have done many funerals over the years and I have yet to see the deceased wrestling with issues of fear. Dead men do not fear failure, ridicule, harm, spiders, darkness or any other fear for that matter. They are dead to their fears.

Today I am going to challenge you to pray in a somewhat unique way. Come into agreement with God that you have nothing to fear, because He is your light and salvation. Then acknowledge that you have been crucified with Christ…the things of the flesh and the fears of the past have all been put to rest. Ask God to bring the fullness of Christ to life in those areas where fear has abounded. Then stand back and watch God unlock the dreams that fear had hidden away for so long.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: