Monday, July 21, 2008

Preparing for the Storm

Good morning! I hope you had a great weekend.

As I write this morning, I have one eye on my computer and another eye on the Gulf of Mexico. A low that has been moving towards the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico over the last few days has developed into Tropical Storm Dolly. The tracking forecasts show this storm strengthening into a low-level hurricane before it makes landfall somewhere near us later this week.

Having lived a majority of my life in “tornado alley” where devastating winds fall from the sky with little advance warning, I much prefer the ample warning of tropical storms. Of course, ample warning is of no use to us if we don’t make proper preparation. The storms of life are not much different.

Jeremiah 46:3-4 (NLT)
“Buckle on your armor and advance into battle! [4] Harness the horses, and prepare to mount them. Put on your helmets, sharpen your spears, and prepare your armor.

Once the storm arrives, it is too late to begin the process of making preparations. Proper planning and preparation must be made long before the storm arrives. I find in my life, that God often gives me advance warning of approaching danger. These times of prompting are a call to action. My preparations may include additional times of prayer, fasting, meeting with wise counsel or other strengthening type activities.

Not all storms give advance notice of their arrival. It is at these times that the preparations become all the more critical. It is during these unexpected storms that I draw from scripture I have memorized, reflection upon God’s previous work in my life and the principles of God’s word. Once again, the preparation in advance of the storm is what sustains in its midst.

Today you may see storm clouds forming over the “Gulf of Your Life.” Now is the time to take inventory. Have you made adequate preparation sustain you as you go through the tumultuous blast? Ask the Lord to show you those areas that need to reinforced so that you can effectively weather any storm that comes your way.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: