Tuesday, April 28, 2009

When Expectancy becomes Expectation

Good morning! This edition of the Monday Morning Encouragement is coming to you a few days late, but I’m sure you might find this just as encouraging on a Wednesday morning.

Over the past few days I have been finishing out a series of prayer retreats that I started last year. The purpose of this retreat was to spend an extended amount of time in silence and solitude in the presence of God.

As I entered into this time, my mind was preoccupied with the many things that are on the horizon. There are things that I have been praying through and listening for God’s responses on for some period of time now. I found myself wanting to go farther with God, but feeling like I was at a bit of a standstill.

During the retreat the Lord revealed something profound to me. I was allowing my sense of expectancy to become something else…an expectation. This shift was creating impatience within me for the things of God. I had to be reminded of the following truth:

Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NASB)
There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven—

God has my journey mapped out. He knows what is ahead of me and, just as importantly, He knows the molding, shaping and equipping that are necessary in my life if I am to successfully navigate the road ahead. I sometimes forget that “wait” and “no” are not the same words; however, my impatience leads me to treat one like the other.

This week you may be feeling like you are also in a standstill. Remember that God has already determined the point of movement and transition in your life. Ask Him to give you a contented spirit, even when the delays seem never ending. In due time, you’ll look back and realize that the end result was well worth the wait.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: