Monday, June 15, 2009

The Value of Understanding

Good morning! I hope you had a great weekend.

A few weeks back I had the opportunity to visit the Kitale Museum in Kitale, Kenya. The Kitale Museum has exhibits that teach about the cultural heritage and natural eco-system of this region of Kenya. The true blessing of this visit to the museum came from the instruction of my tour guide, Andrew. Andrew allowed me not just to see the exhibits and learn, but he provided me with understanding as well.

For example as we toured the mud tribal huts, he explained why I had to stoop down so low as I entered each one. The huts were built with low entrances, so that an attacker had to stoop to enter into the hut, while the resident of the hut was upright on the inside to defend their home. Without Andrew at my side, I would have only had the knowledge that this round domicile made of mud was a hut. Andrew opened my understanding the function…the “how” and “why” of the hut.

Proverbs 3:13 (NASB)
How blessed is the man who finds wisdom, And the man who gains understanding.

Too many of us settle for being informed, but not enlightened. I often laugh that I am the king of worthless trivia. I can spout many useless facts about a great variety of subjects, but it is those things in which I have garnered understanding that I truly am an expert.

In this information age, a person’s ability to take the knowledge available and truly apply it is unique indeed. When you take the time to gain understanding you will be a real asset in this world of information overload. A person of understanding brings proper perspective to those who are suffering from information overload.

Today I want to challenge you to explore something at a deeper level. Maybe today you need to look at a passage from the Bible and move past the surface, or perhaps you need to probe deeper into a conversation with a friend. Ask the Lord for understanding and enjoy seeing things through a new lens of perspective.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours today.

Carl

No comments: