Monday, March 14, 2005

Monday Morning Encouragement - March 14, 2005

By nature I tend to be a bit of a risk taker….actually that would probably be understating it. I have a fly by the seat of the pants, adventurous, risk taking personality. In my early through mid 20’s I was a street cop in Fort Worth, TX and Dodge City, KS. When people used to ask me why I had become a cop, I would always reply: “I’m an adrenaline junkie!”

As I get older I find myself being more of a calculated risk taker. Some of the “crash and burns” of life have made me more cautious. Caution in itself is a good thing, but at times I find myself paralyzed with unfounded fears. It is with this thought that I bring you this morning’s note of encouragement.

In his 1933 inaugural address Franklin Roosevelt spoke these famous words: “So first of all let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear…is fear itself…nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.”

Fear paralyzes many people to the point that they no longer grow, dream or reach for greater heights. Fear tells us that we will fail, that we will be hurt and that we should not trust. In my life I have met many who have missed out on God’s best because of these types of fears. I have a friend who is a fellow pastor who once told me: “I would love to try some of the things that you do in your church…but if they fail all of the responsibility falls on my shoulders.” The sad part of this is that my friend doesn’t enjoy his ministry, he wants it to be so much more than it is…but he is unwilling to step out in faith and trust God for the results.

The point I want to drive home to you this morning is simply this: “Where God guides…He provides!” I want to illustrate this to you with the following passage of scripture:

Joshua 3:13-17 (NLT)
The priests will be carrying the Ark of the Lord, the Lord of all the earth. When their feet touch the water, the flow of water will be cut off upstream, and the river will pile up there in one heap."
[14] When the people set out to cross the Jordan, the priests who were carrying the Ark of the Covenant went ahead of them. [15] Now it was the harvest season, and the Jordan was overflowing its banks. But as soon as the feet of the priests who were carrying the Ark touched the water at the river's edge, [16] the water began piling up at a town upstream called Adam, which is near Zarethan. And the water below that point flowed on to the Dead Sea until the riverbed was dry. Then all the people crossed over near the city of Jericho. [17] Meanwhile, the priests who were carrying the Ark of the Lord's covenant stood on dry ground in the middle of the riverbed as the people passed by them. They waited there until everyone had crossed the Jordan on dry ground.

Did you notice anything here? The Jordan River was at flood stage. Most of you remember what our local rivers looked like in September…high water and fast moving currents. That is the scenario here. Now remember God had already promised that when the feet of the priests touched the water, that the water would part. Sounds simple enough right? But most of us would agree that often times there are fine lines between faith and stupidity. The trust of the people was put to the test at the water’s edge. Fear could paralyze them in their tracks. What if we drown? What if the ark gets swept away? What if…what if? The “what ifs” in life derail many people from experiencing God’s very best for them.

Notice the water only parted after the foot of the priests touched the water. Standing at the edge of the river doesn’t take faith. Stepping off into it does! Today you may be faced with opportunities to take a faith “risk.” This may be as simple as striking up a conversation with someone new or offering assistance to someone who needs a helping hand. Don’t let fear paralyze you. Remember where God guides…God provides!

Until next Monday may God’s richest blessings be yours.

No comments: