Monday, November 07, 2005

Are You a Man or Woman of Your Word?

Good Morning! Today I want to talk to you about your character and the issue of being a person of your word.

Aside from being a pastor I am also work as a financial advisor. This past week I have been trying to resolve an operational issue with the clearing house I use. In my efforts last week I had three different conversations in which someone told me they would resolve the issue and call me back. On each of these three occasions, what was promised was never delivered. As you might well imagine, my trust and confidence in this firm is now marred.

Unfortunately too many of us put little weight on our promises. We are quick to promise a prayer for a friend, a helping hand or any number of other things…and yet all too often we don’t follow through. Many times I have heard those from earlier generations lament “I can remember when a man’s handshake was reliable.” If you’ve bought a car or a home recently, you’ll understand what that means. Your handshake now requires 30 other pages of legal documentation to make the agreement valid.

Jesus spoke to us about our promises too:

Matthew 5:37a

But let your word 'yes' be 'yes,' and your 'no' be 'no.'

We live in a society of double talk. “Yes” means “maybe” and “no” means “possibly.” Some of the biggest scandals of the political, business and unfortunately the religious realms have been over the issues of character and integrity. In fact I laugh about some of the lying that goes on in churches every week. For example, you see families who have fought all morning, screamed at each other all the way to church, but when asked by the pastor “how are you?” they answer with “great.” As a pastor my favorite has always been those who shake hands with you at the back door with the words “great message” even though you watched them sleep through the entire service.

Consider your own words. Do those around you consider you to be a man or woman of your word? Does your character withstand scrutiny and examination? When you promise to play with your kids do you do it? When you promise your spouse that the bills are taken care of, are they really? When you promise the credit card company that the payment is in the mail, is it really in the mail?

The greatest mark of character is when your talk and your walk match. Just like the folks at my clearing company, your actions reflect on more than you. They reflect on your family, your employer, your church and your Lord. This week put your character to the test; you never know who may be watching.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: