Monday, February 13, 2006

What Are You Doing for Valentine's Day?

Good morning! Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, a celebration of “love.” Love is an amazing thing and beauty of true love is certainly something to behold. Now love is a topic that I could speak on for hours, but you don’t have time for that today and neither do I.

At its core, love is all about sacrifice and service. Our love flourishes when we give 100% of who we are to another person. Today though, I want to talk more about the passion of love.

The Song of Solomon is one of the most passionate and romantic books within the Bible. It’s vivid descriptions of romance, intimacy and passion are display the true beauty of a love relationship. I remember a few years ago taking our church on a mission trip. Two of the teenage girls riding in my vehicle were studying this book of the Bible and the giggles were plenty as they read the sensual descriptions of lovers’ passions.

Now I will admit, I am unfortunately a typical guy. When my wife and I were dating, I was a true romantic. I wrote letters and whispered sweet nothings (you know...nothing covered in chocolate, nothing with powdered sugar), but now after 17 years of marriage, I get romantic in short bursts usually around our anniversary or Valentine’s Day. To continue to be romantic I have to work at it. Remember love is all about sacrifice and service. When I take the time to build my wife up, to cherish her, to praise her beauty…I bring out the beauty in our relationship, because we are one. I already know she makes me look better…but when she radiates, I radiate. Consider this example of cherishing words:

Song 4:10 (NLT)

How sweet is your love, my treasure, my bride! How much better it is than wine! Your perfume is more fragrant than the richest of spices.

Guys, how many times do we remember to tell the ladies in our lives that we think they are stunningly beautiful. Ladies, how often do you tell the men in your lives that they are handsome and strong. We forget over the years how much words mean and how they fan the flames of passion. Guys when did you last open the door for that special lady or offer to do the dishes…when you were dating acts of sacrificial service were a joy, because you wanted to impress her…but do you still want to impress her? And the same is true for the ladies as well. Unfortunately over time we allow our love all too often to become one sided.

Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day. This year don’t settle for the boxes of chocolates, roses or teddy bears, but give of yourself and sacrifice a little. Let the love of your life catch you checking him or her out. Write a letter or a poem. Whisper a few sweet nothings. Above and beyond all else…pray. God created love, it is His very nature. Ask Him to fan the flames of passion within you and to help you lift up your loved one to a whole new level.

Carl

No comments: