Monday, February 27, 2006

Wisdom for Dummies

Good morning! This morning I want to start by asking this question: How do you make decisions? Everyday we are faced with choices, some major and some minor. Some of these choices are clear and take little consideration, while others are deep and take much contemplation.

Today I want to focus on those more difficult decisions of life. In many of these cases there is no clear cut answer. There may be pros and cons to any foreseeable outcome. These decisions may include such things as job changes, relocation, relationship challenges or financial choices.

In my mind, one of the greatest promises of scripture for times like these comes from James 1:5:

James 1:5 (NLT)

If you need wisdom—if you want to know what God wants you to do—ask him, and he will gladly tell you. He will not resent your asking.

I affectionately call this verse “wisdom for dummies.” It is reassuring for me, that when I am at the end of my human capabilities of human discernment, I am able to turn to my Heavenly Father and tap into His infinite wisdom. The Apostle Paul was glad that he had weaknesses in his life, because God’s strength was revealed in those weaknesses.

2 Corinthians 12:9 (NLT)

Each time he said, "My gracious favor is all you need. My power works best in your weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may work through me.

When we are faced with difficult decisions our immediate response should be recognition of our weakness to effectively discern appropriate actions. We should start any decision making process by seeking out God’s perfect wisdom and will. If we will diligently seek God’s guidance, He will give it in abundance. Unfortunately far too often, we put off seeking God’s wisdom until we find ourselves at a stalemate.

This week, I encourage you to take your decisions before God’s throne each and every day. Allow His perfect wisdom to be displayed in your life and your decisions.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessing be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: