Monday, May 01, 2006

Commit an intentional act of kindness

Commit an intentional act of kindness

Good morning! I hope you had a great weekend. My family and I took advantage of the beautiful spring weather and spent most of our weekend outdoors.

This weekend, I spend some time with a group of men from my church helping others with various projects ranging from moving heavy appliances to wiring up connections for trailer lights.

One of the greatest blessings we have in our lives is the ability to help others. I have some of my greatest personal growth has come from times of selfless service. Unfortunately the majority of the time, we live our lives in a bubble, somewhat ignorant of the world around us and insulated from the needs of others.

But God has a different plan for our lives:

Titus 3:14 (NLT)

For our people should not have unproductive lives. They must learn to do good by helping others who have urgent needs.

The toughest thing about serving is that it takes sacrifice. For me to serve someone is going to require a sacrifice of my time, it may require a sacrifice of my energy and strength and it may even cost me some money (with current gas prices that could be a lot of money).

All of us have been at a place of need, where we needed a helping hand. The challenge or task at hand, was just too much for us to complete on our own. When the help comes, you feel your spirits rise and even your weariness subsides.

A few years ago there was a bumper sticker that said “Commit a random act of kindess.” I would like to make that my challenge for this morning’s encouragement. Ask God to show you those opportunities for kindness this week. When you are presented with the opportunity…go and commit, not a random act of kindness, but instead and intentional act of kindness.

Your act of kindness may change the entire course of someone’s day.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: