Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Change of Perspective

Good morning! I hope you enjoyed your long weekend and are heading into the shortened work week with gusto.

Today, I want to talk to you about perspective. My father-in-law has been visiting with us these past few days. Last night we took him to Mount Washington overlooking downtown Pittsburgh. This view was once voted as one of the top 10 views in America. One of the things I find striking about the view from Mount Washington, is the change of perspective.

There are times in life, when we need a change of perspective. We may be going through a difficult circumstance, and from our viewpoints in the middle, it looks hopeless, but a change of perspective brings hope. Look at the following passages from the Old Testament:

2 Kings 6:14-17 (NLT)

So one night the king of Aram sent a great army with many chariots and horses to surround the city. [15] When the servant of the man of God got up early the next morning and went outside, there were troops, horses, and chariots everywhere.

"Ah, my lord, what will we do now?" he cried out to Elisha.

[16] "Don't be afraid!" Elisha told him. "For there are more on our side than on theirs!" [17] Then Elisha prayed, "O Lord, open his eyes and let him see!" The Lord opened his servant's eyes, and when he looked up, he saw that the hillside around Elisha was filled with horses and chariots of fire.

Elisha’s servant thought that all hope was lost. In his mind there was no way out. Only after his eyes were opened, did he see God was already moving on his behalf.

I have often compared the trials of life to driving in the fog. When I drive through the fog, I realize that just because I can’t see the other vehicles, doesn’t mean they are not there. At some point the fog will lift or they will be close enough to me that they become visible. The same is true with life. I may not be able to see God’s movement, but I know He is near. When the time is right, the fog will lift and his presence will become obvious.

Today if you are facing difficult circumstances, I encourage you to do just Elisha did. Pray for an opening of your eyes and a change of your perspective.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: