Sunday, July 09, 2006

Are You Still Amazed?

Good morning! I hope you had a tremendous weekend and were able to take advantage of the beautiful weather.

This past Friday, I had the privilege of taking my children to watch a practice run of the Navy’s Blue Angels at the local Air Force base. This group of fighter pilots put on a breathtaking display of teamwork and precision flying that left the crowd applauding and wanting more.

Today I want us to focus on this idea of awe and wonder. Do you remember the first time as a child you saw a train or airplane? I remember being filled with amazement at those sights. The power, the noise, the size…they all seemed so large in my young mind. Now I must confess, I still am a kid at heart and I love to watch airplanes, trains and boats….I still find them fascinating, but because of familiarity I am no longer awestruck.

That brings me to this thought: Do I still find myself filled with awe and wonder when I think of the glorious power and majesty of God. Consider the following verses:

Luke 5:24-26 (NLT)

I will prove that I, the Son of Man, have the authority on earth to forgive sins." Then Jesus turned to the paralyzed man and said, "Stand up, take your mat, and go on home, because you are healed!"

[25] And immediately, as everyone watched, the man jumped to his feet, picked up his mat, and went home praising God. [26] Everyone was gripped with great wonder and awe. And they praised God, saying over and over again, "We have seen amazing things today."

When I first gave my life to Jesus Christ, I was filled with amazement. The newness of life and the joy of forgiveness permeated every ounce of my being. Now I am much older and I find that often I get complacent. I have allowed my familiarity, even though I have barely scratched the surface on knowing God, to get in the way. My heart is not always stirred, because I look at life through jaded and hardened eyes expecting I know how God will move.

Watching my children on Friday was a tremendous joy. They had never seen the Blue Angels before, so they had no expectations. Each part of the demonstration brought with it new opportunities for amazement. I see more clearly why Jesus spoke of the importance of having a childlike faith.

Today I want to challenge you to put aside your expectations and “knowledge” of God and instead approach this week with the faith of a child. Ask God to leave you in wide-eyed amazement at His presence and power. Let Him wow you with his glory and leave you wanting more.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

1 comment:

Frank said...

We used the "Are You Amazed" video (4:58) just this past weekend as part of our "Jesus, the..." series. See http://www.sermonspice.com/cart/?p=product&id=112

VERY powerful.

Blessings...

Frank