Monday, August 28, 2006

Back to School

Good morning! I hope your weekend was relaxing and that you have hit the ground running this morning.

Did you hear it this morning? Listen closely! Did you hear it? If you are like me you heard the groans of children officially telling summer goodbye as they return to the schoolhouse. I remember those days of “forced” schooling. I thought they would never end and often times I wondered how in the world what I was learning would ever be of value to my life.

But looking back I am thankful for everything I learned. School taught me more than reading, writing and arithmetic. Maybe even more importantly, school taught me how to deal with life, with people, with success and even failure.

Sadly many of us turn our backs on learning when we graduate from high school or college. Consider the words of Proverbs:

Proverbs 23:12 (NLT)

Commit yourself to instruction; attune your ears to hear words of knowledge.

I find that when I think I’ve arrived in my areas of knowledge that there is always more to learn. There is always someone who has a little more insight, experience or skill than I do. As an adult I have found that I have to continue to be a learner or I fall behind.

With each new area of learning I broaden my horizons. Many of my favorite hobbies these days are things which I have learned over the past few years. It required me to once again become a student. To listen to those who had experience and knowledge. Sometimes it required me to get my hands dirty so I could learn a new skill set.

This week I want to challenge you to take out your spiral notebook and your #2 pencil. Sign up for the school of life and choose some electives to broaden your horizon. Seek out a mentor to teach and coach. Most of all enjoy the journey.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: