Monday, August 14, 2006

Driver's Ed

Good morning! I hope you had a great weekend and that your Monday morning is off to a great start.

This past week my oldest son turned 16. With this milestone of age has come the time honored tradition of learning how to drive. This was a memorable time in my own life. When I was his age, my dad was regularly taking me behind a local shopping center to teach me the basics of vehicle operation.

Following my dad’s lead, I have been doing the same. Taking my son to a local shopping center and teaching him the fundamentals of driving. As we work on his driving, we talk about the rules of the road, safe following distances, blind spots and any other topic that relates to being a safe driver. With my son at the wheel, I give him direction about where to turn, park, back up and yield right of way.

With that thought I want to draw your attention to the following passage of scripture:

Psalm 119:102 (NLT)

I haven't turned away from your laws, for you have taught me well.

For my son, his learning occurs in two formats. He learns first of all from the Pennsylvania Driver’s Handbook. In this book the rules of the road are explained along with safe driving practices. The knowledge he gains from the manual is put into practice when gets behind the wheel for his times of hands on training.

Life is very similar. God has given us His word to guide and direct our lives. We have the examples of God’s interaction with others to show us the cost of sin, the abundance of God’s mercy and the finality of Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection. In the pages of God’s word we find encouragement, rebuke, admonition and direction.

But just like driving, without hands on application, the words are simply information. God wants us to be complete in our walk with Him. So He takes us on the road course of life. Every day we have opportunities to put the word of God into practice in our lives. We are faced with challenges that require us to draw deep from our knowledge of God and His desires for our lives. With each challenge we come to know God on a more personal and intimate level. We see His hand guiding us through the challenges and we find the reassurance of His affirmations.

Today you may find yourself in a new situation, facing challenges that you’ve never encountered before. Take courage, God is with you and He will guide you safely through.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: