Monday, January 01, 2007

2006 in the rearview mirror

Happy New Year!!! This morning 2006 is in the rear view mirror and we are headed down the highway of 2007.

For me, this New Year’s Day brings more than a change of the calendar year. Tomorrow I will fill my pickup truck with my clothes, most of my personal library, my old dog “Ginger” and with my car in tow (sounds like a bad country song doesn’t it?) I will start a 3 day trek to Corpus Christi, TX. For me this New Year brings about a new chapter in my personal and professional journey as I begin serving a new church family.

Over these next few days of driving I will spend a lot of time in reflection reflecting on where the journey has taken me to this point. This will be a time of celebrating the victories, appreciating the many people that God has placed into my life and evaluating the life lessons learned.

Experience is the classroom in which God shapes our lives. Our experiences, whether good or bad, shape us into the people we are today. Sadly, many people fail to fully recognize and appreciate all that the lessons of life have taught them.

Psalm 77:11 (NLT)

I recall all you have done, O Lord;

I remember your wonderful deeds of long ago.

This week I want to challenge you to take some time and reflect on the journey of 2006. Reflect on all of the places that your journey took you. What were the new experiences? Where did you find the unexpected blessings? What were the places of difficulty? Reflect on the people who were a part of the journey. Who had a lasting influence upon you? Who helped carry you through the difficult times? Reflect your achievements. What were your greatest victories? What were your greatest defeats? What things remain unaccomplished?

Once you’ve identified these things. Spend a few moments in prayer thanking God for the journey. Ask for His guidance in the year to come. As you look out the windshield at the highway of 2007 that is before you, open your eyes and anticipate the journey ahead.

Until next Monday may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: