Monday, May 28, 2007

I don't feel any older

Yesterday I celebrated my 37th birthday. Now I still have the same creaks, groans and hair loss that I had last week, so from a feeling standpoint I don't feel much different. The one thing that does remind me of the seasons of life is my current location.

My family and I are on vacation at our denomination's conference center in Glorieta, NM. The last time I was here was 23 years ago. I was a freshman in high school and my main objective was meeting cute girls with a minor emphasis on spiritual growth.

Now I'm here watching my 16 year old son scouting out the high school girls who are here with their youth groups. Oh the joys of teenage boyhood.

My other children have been challenging me to miniature golf and are desparate to find a video game console somewhere. Sadly for them there are no TV's at Glorieta.

It has been a wonderful vacation so far. Friday night we went to watch the bat flight at Carlsbad Caverns. What an amazing sight to watch literally hundreds of thousands of bats take flight simultaneously. All heading out in different directions and by God's amazing design they find their way back to the very same cave the next morning.

Saturday as we drove Carlsbad to Glorieta, we took note of the antelope in the fields and enjoyed the changing landscape. Once we arrived we went into Santa Fe and enjoyed the free spirit of the plaza. There are many artisans and Indian craftsman who sell their wares in the plaza each day. We finished off the our tour of Santa Fe with a tour of the Saint Francis of Assissi Cathedral. What a beautiful, ornate sanctuary that is!

Yesterday was my birthday so we celebrated with a trip to Wal-Mart and Albertsons for groceries. After presents, a power nap and rousing round of mini-golf, I made bbq ribs on the grill. There is a Sunday School class from a church in Albuquerque staying at our apartments so they invited us to join them and we celebrated our time away together.

This morning I am sitting on the back patio of the Holy Grounds Cafe, which proudly serves Starbucks coffee. It is a beautiful morning. The sky is blue and cloudless the birds are chirping and the air is cool and crisp. There is a youth conference going on, so I am coming across pockets of young people doing their daily devotions and Bible study. Brings back alot of memories. I think today we are going to follow the Pecos River up to a 13,000 foot pass.

No comments: