Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Vacation Chronicles

I love the mountains! I have always loved going to the mountains for time away. The mountains around Santa Fe are unique, because this is still high desert country.

The one drawback to my time away here is allergies. The mountains are covered with pine trees and my nose is running like a faucet. Thank goodness for Benadryl.

Monday, we packed up a picnic lunch and headed to the Pecos river. We had been told that you could follow the river up to one of the peaks (about 13,000 feet), so that is exactly what we did. What a beautiful view. The river was very cold and the banks were lined with trout fisherman. Carol and I could have sat there all day,but the 9 and 5 year olds had different ideas. Monday evening Carol and I left the little ones with our 16 year old (they went and played miniature golf) and we went on a date.

Yesterday, we all headed out in separate directions. Collin and I had a dad day and went to the Bradbury Museum with the Los Alamos National Laboratory. Nuclear science is fascinating, but it sure does cause you to stop and consider your values and ethics. I was impressed that within the museum they allowed for a display of opposing opinions and even provided a book to voice your own. Los Alamos is a very pretty place though, in fact I liked it so much I'm taking the family back there today.

Christopher took a 6 mile round trip hike up "baldie." His total hike took about 6 hours to complete, but he said it was well worth it.

Carol and Caitlyn stayed around the apartment and painted toe nails and finger nails and played on the playground.

We all came back together last night to grill hamburgers and watch season 2 of Seinfeld on my laptop.

No comments: