Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Cherished Friendships

Good morning! I hope you had a great weekend and that you find yourself rested and full of energy this morning!

This weekend I have had the privilege of traveling through Western Kansas. Our family spent about 7 years in different parts of this area and over the years developed many close friendships. This visit was especially fun for me as I have gotten to spend time with those God has allowed me have a small influence upon and those who had a large influence upon me.

This morning I got to thinking about true friendships. David and Jonathan are one of the greatest examples in the Bible of what a true friendship looks like:

1 Samuel 18:3 (NLT)

And Jonathan made a special vow to be David's friend,

Jonathan and David’s friendship went beyond being mere acquaintances. They were truly brothers bound by the bonds of friendship. When Jonathan’s father, King Saul, was seeking to kill David, Jonathan looked out for his friend. Even after Jonathan had been killed in battle, David made it a point to honor his friend by caring for the lone survivor of his household. David and Jonathan were the picture of true friendship.

One of the things that I find fascinating about real friendships is the fact that they withstand the test of time. Last night my wife and I went to dinner with a group of friends that we had attended church with nearly a decade ago. Even though we have not seen many of them in years, the conversations picked up where they left off. The connection of the heart is timeless.

This week I want to encourage you to say a word of thanks unto the Lord for the true friends in your life. Pick up the phone this week and talk to someone you haven’t shared a laugh with for a while. Brag about your kids and grandkids, feel the bonds of friendship being pulled tighter.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: