Monday, September 24, 2007

Good Counsel

Good morning! I hope your week is off to an amazing start.

This past weekend, I lead a retreat with the deacons in my church. During our time together we reviewed the patterns of the past, the current landscape of our church culture and the opportunities for the future. The value of spending this type of time with these leaders is the counsel they are able to give. Their experience, insight and wisdom helps me to fine tune my plans and ideas.

Proverbs 20:18 (NLT)
Plans succeed through good counsel; don't go to war without the advice of others.

Almost anyone will give you advice if you ask for it. The key is to seek out “good counsel.” Often times we are tempted to seek out counsel from those who already agree with us. Good counsel, however, requires objectivity and honest opinions. I often phrase my request for counsel this way: “push back on that idea.”

Counsel that challenges your vision is wonderful, because it forces you to evaluate your own confidence in your plans. Additionally, it forces you to articulate your true convictions and goals. Many of us think we understand our intended course of action, but truthfully, we have trouble articulating the particulars of the plan.

Often I find during these times of open discussion that others see possible hazards that I had overlooked. Their unique perspective raises questions that, to this point, had been unasked.

In the end my plans are much more solid, because I have taken the time to seek out good counsel. The landmines that might have been missed have now been uncovered and effectively dealt with.

This week you may be working on a strategy of your own. This may include a career move, retirement plan or new business venture. Take the time to seek out those with wisdom and experience. They will save you from making unnecessary mistakes and in the end you will come away with a much better plan of action.

Until next week, may God’s richest blessings be yours.

Carl

No comments: