Monday, October 08, 2007

Choosing Your Reputation

Good morning! I hope your weekend was restful and that you are fully refreshed this morning.

Today I want to talk to you about something that every one of us has. For some of us this thing is wonderful and a real pleasure to have. For others of us this thing is not so good and at times becomes a real burden to bear. So what is this thing I’m referring to…it’s your reputation.

Like it or not we all have a reputation that has been carved out by our actions over the years, both good and bad. Good neighbor, kind-hearted, generous, liar, cheat and thief. These labels all vary in their positive or negative tone, but they are all labels given to people each day.

The thing about reputations is that they stick. Once a reputation is given it tends to remain. If the reputation is negative it can be nearly impossible to get rid of. Because of the lasting nature of reputations, the Bible gives us some great advice:

Proverbs 22:1 (NLT)

Choose a good reputation over great riches, for being held in high esteem is better than having silver or gold.

When you boil it all down to the purest form, a reputation is really a commentary or judgment on a person’s character. The reputation determines to what degree a person is trusted, allowed to lead or even invited into a close relationship.

My dad once told me that the greatest gift he could give me was “a good name.” Those words have stuck with me throughout the years. My successes, wealth and physical abilities will come and go with time, but my reputation will remain. In fact, my reputation may outlive me, so this truly becomes an issue of the type of legacy I will leave.

So how does one “choose a good reputation?” Every day we are given choices in life. These are choices of values and integrity. Each time you choose integrity over compromise, you are choosing a good reputation. By the same token, every time you choose compromise or underhanded tactics you are also developing a reputation. It has been said that those who refuse to take stands are simply choosing to fall for everything. Don’t let this be said of you.

This week you will be given opportunities to carve out a reputation. Seize those moments and carve out a reputation that honors you and your foundation of faith.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: