Monday, October 15, 2007

Time Alone

We live in a day and age where constant activity is the norm. Even when we
take days off, we still work ourselves ragged. For people like me who lean to
the workaholic side of the scale, we even give up what should be our sleeping hours for a few more hours of productivity.

Unfortunately, we allow ourselves to get so busy that we lose sight of what is
most important. As a pastor, I find that there are times when I get so busy
doing “God’s work” that I neglect my relationship with God. I have at times
found myself so busy doing ministry that I didn’t take time to be still and
listen to God’s voice. I’ve seen other times when I’ve loaded my schedule
with meetings and ministry activities, but didn’t build in time for God’s word.

So how did Jesus do it? When the crowds were pressing in and everyone wanted
his attention, how did he keep first things first? Here is a great example:

Mark 1:35 (NLT)

The next morning Jesus awoke long before daybreak and went out alone into the wilderness to pray.

Jesus knew the demands that would be placed upon him, so he planned accordingly.

Instead of grabbing a few extra minutes of sleep, Jesus instead arose early
and headed out to a secluded place. Jesus knew that he could not focus on
intimacy with God, if he was being bombarded by demands and distractions. So
Jesus went to a place in which he could slow down and focus his full attention on God. There were no other conversations to manage, no unplanned visitors,
no urgent phone calls…only quality time seeking the heart of His Father.

This week, I encourage you to steal away for some quality time with your
Heavenly Father. Find a place of seclusion and quiet. Go expectantly,
seeking an intimate encounter with him and prepare to be refreshed.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: