Monday, January 19, 2009

Loving Your Enemy

Good morning! I hope you had a great weekend.

Last night I was watching the AFC Championship Game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens. Late in the game there was a devastating hit between a Steelers’ player and a Ravens’ player. The Ravens’ player laid motionless on the ground for a number of minutes and was ultimately placed on a stretcher and carted off of the field.

In football the rivalry between the Steelers and Ravens is generally described in these terms: “A bitter rivalry” or “these two teams hate each other.” Anytime these two rivals play, the energy level increases and the players dig a little deeper for every hit. In a game as big as the conference championship, no one holds back; yet, last night as a wounded warrior lay motionless on the field of battle, rivalry was set aside and compassion took over. All around the injured athlete, members of both teams gathered, many dropping to one knee with heads bowed. As I watched the scene unfold on my television screen, my mind went to the following admonition from Jesus:

Matthew 5:43-44 (NASB)
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR, and hate your enemy.’
44 “But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you

Last night on that ball field, every athlete took pause with the realization that it could have been them lying motionless out on the turf. Life has a funny way of bringing us back to the simple truth that we are not as strong as we often think we are.

Times like these allow us to see our own frailties and shortcomings. Our first impulse may be to celebrate the misfortune of our rival, but soon enough we find ourselves remembering our own vulnerability, past injury or current challenges. Many times God has allowed me to watch my opponents stumble, only to use their fall as a reminder to me that the ground is level at the foot of the cross. What I mean by that statement is this: When it comes to being worthy of God’s favor, love and blessing…I am totally undeserving. In fact, I no more deserve than anyone else, no matter how bad their life and actions may seem to me. The only reason I am even a recipient of His goodness and grace, is because of the price Jesus paid, something I had no part in to begin with.

Having this realization, makes it much easier to endure those who adversaries in my life. Recognizing that from God’s perspective, we are equally in need of His grace and mercy, allows me to switch from adversary to advocate. I find myself bowing my head to pray for the needs of my greatest rivals.

Today you may be in the midst of the greatest battle of your career, education, or even life. Take time today to pray for the well-being of those who battle against you, because chances are the battle will expose their frailties as much as it will expose yours.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

1 comment:

Steve said...

I like the way you connected a practical application to a spiritual truth. All are loved by God regardless of what we think of it at times. Keep up the good work.

~Steve