Monday, March 09, 2009

Change of Course

Good morning! I hope you had a wonderful weekend.

This past week I was invited by a friend to go out on the streets with him to share with those we encountered the life changing message of Christ. When we got together, we took a few minutes and prayed, asking the Lord to direct to the place where He could best use us. As we drove around listening for God’s prompting we came upon a small church not far from the Sunday meeting place of the church I pastor. Both of us felt the prompting of God to stop there and join those who had come together for Bible study.

Acts 13:4 (NASB)
So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia and from there they sailed to Cyprus.

The other night was a shining example of the mysterious ways of God. Our intention was to go and share our faith with people who were looking for true hope. Instead, God led us to a little church to watch and listen. In fact for me, the journey was not for what was said in the service, but instead for two brief statements the pastor made to me during a 10 minute conversation on the sidewalk afterwards.

Many times we set out in a course or direction at God’s leading, believing we are going for, what is in our minds, a clearly defined purpose. As we continue on this journey we realize that our intended purpose was not really the purpose at all, but was instead the means of positioning us for things that God wants us to experience. For example, when I left law enforcement in 1997, I went into banking thinking that this would be my profession for the remainder of my days. In reality, God used the bank to position me in the right place to be groomed for my call to the ministry that would come 2 years later.

Today, you may find yourself in a place where you are asking the question: “What am I doing here? This was not the purpose I came here for.” When you trust God’s prompting, you can always be assured that you are in the right place at the right time; even if you cannot readily see that truth from your current perspective. Realize that God may simply be using this time and place in your life to position you for the things to come.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: