Monday, March 01, 2010

Treasured Friendships

Good morning! I hope you had a great weekend.

1 Corinthians 16:19-20 (NASB)
19 The churches of Asia greet you. Aquila and Prisca greet you heartily in the Lord, with the church that is in their house.
20 All the brethren greet you. Greet one another with a holy kiss.


Today I was answering emails from some of my greatest friends in the world. I realize that some of the most cherished treasures I have are the rich friendships that I have been blessed with. Today I was corresponding with a friend in India about the upcoming birth of her first child in a week and half. In another email I was talking with a friend in Uganda about seeing him again in April. I recently corresponded with a friend in Canada about his upcoming ministry schedule. Every week via Facebook, I correspond with friends who were a part of my journey at different stages in my life.

It is no wonder that the Apostle Paul referred to those who were so dear to him in his letters. God used these friendships as a means of encouraging and sustaining the apostle through some of the darkest days of his life. These friendships continued on in spite of geography and time. In them was a lasting bond that moved far beyond the realm of mere acquaintance, but instead moved deep into the realm of sharing the fullness of life, knit together by the bond of Christ.

As I have traveled throughout the world, I have been amazed at how deep these friendships have become in my own life. I have mourned the death of loved ones with friends a half a world away. I have rejoiced over the marriage of daughters, the return of sons and the move of God in families and ministries.

At the same time I have received notes of encouragement at just the right time from places like India and Africa. I have shared laughs with friends I haven’t seen in a quarter of a century. Although time changes us in many ways, friendships forged into the bedrock of our faith have a staying power that is unmatched.

Today I would encourage you to count the relationships you have been given as treasures in your own life. Perhaps its time to send a greeting out to someone you haven’t heard from in a while. Your contact may be just the thing that is needed in their life today.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: