Monday, May 03, 2010

Understanding the Purpose of Your Delays

Good morning from Kitale, Kenya.  I hope you had a great weekend.

My visit to Africa has been marked by obstacles and delays.  Everything from the Iceland volcano to the illness of a driver has created delays for every conference I have been scheduled to speak in.   I am reminded of this description of Paul's missionary travels in Acts 16:

Acts 16:6-10 (NASB)
6.  They passed through the Phrygian and Galatian region, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia ;
7.  and after they came to Mysia, they were trying to go into Bithynia, and the Spirit of Jesus did not permit them;
8.  and passing by Mysia, they came down to Troas.
9.  A vision appeared to Paul in the night : a man of Macedonia was standing and appealing to him, and saying, "Come over to Macedonia and help us."
10.  When he had seen the vision, immediately we sought to go into Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them.

I find that the reason for obstacles often becomes apparent on the back side of those obstacles.   In my experience on this trip, I have seen how God has used others to take on new roles of leadership, simply because I was delayed.   He has allowed me to hear a word of encouragement that I would not have received had I been "on schedule."   A greater excitement to my ministry has been experienced, because of the delays that took place.    In each instance though I can see the hand of God at work.

There may be some issues in your life that seem delayed today.   I can ensure you that there is a purpose to your delay.  The purpose may or may not become evident to you, but make no mistake the delay is according to God's plan.   This is the place where trust comes to bear.  You must trust in God's direction and leading during these times of uncertainty.   When the time is right the answer will become evident.

Until next week (if I have internet access), may God's richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: