Sunday, October 08, 2006

If At First You Don't Succeed....

Good morning! I hope you had a restful weekend and have hit the ground running this morning. I spent a good chunk of my weekend working on my house. As fall settles in my opportunities to wrap up my house painting project are fading quickly.

Today I want to speak to you about the issue of persistence. It is said that Thomas Edison did not successfully invent the light bulb until he had made 10,000 unsuccessful attempts. Studies also show that some of the most successful business people in our nation have had at least one business fail prior to their success. Had these individuals given up at the first sign of failure we might not be beneficiaries of their persistence.

Now I realize you may not be looking to start a new company or invent the next technological miracle, but the concept of persistence is just as important for you. Maybe your issue is getting a date, getting a promotion or making a job change. You may have been seeking resolution for some time now, but the answer continues to be “no” or “not now.” Today I want to encourage you with these words from Jesus:

Matthew 7:7 (NLT)

"Keep on asking, and you will be given what you ask for. Keep on looking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened.

If you find you are losing hope over the seemingly endless stream of “no” answers, I want to encourage you that your “yes” is coming. With each no, not now or later you are another step closer to a yes.

When Thomas Edison was asked about his failed attempts at creating the light bulb he replied: “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.” The challenge for us is the similar, to find the lessons of our wait. I have found that when God tells me no, He always has a better plan for my life than whatever situation I am pursuing. I have seen this happen in both professional and personal situations.

Today if you seem to keep hitting walls everywhere you turn, take heart. Your “yes” is near and God has something much better in mind. Keep seeking, keep knocking, keep asking…when the time is right your answers will be clear.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: