Sunday, October 29, 2006

Heard from an old friend

Good morning! I hope you had a great weekend and that your week is off to a great start.

This past week I found myself riding the roller coaster of “what if” worry and “what now” doubts. I have always been one who expects the best, but plans for the worst. Unfortunately at times I get overly focused on the planning for the worst.

I am so thankful that God doesn’t allow me to wallow in these times of shaken confidence and rattled faith. During my greatest time of doubt this week I was blessed by a phone call from a friend. The Bible has many thoughts on friendship and today I wanted to share this with you:

Proverbs 17:17 (NLT)

A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.

My friend Don is a fellow pastor from Kansas. He called me out of the blue to let me know I had been on his mind. We talked, laughed and caught up on what was going on in both of our lives. Even though Don gave me no advice, just our time of connecting boosted my spirits and refocused my perspective for the day.

Over the years I have seen this same scenario play out on a couple of occasions. I consider the friendships that God has allowed me to form over the years to be some of the greatest riches that God has given me in this life. I am blessed to know that I can send out an email or make a few phone calls and immediately tap into the prayers and counsel of men and women who care deeply for me and my family.

Today I encourage you to give thanks for your friends. I also want to challenge you to be the kind of friend who is by nature a blessing to others. You never know how God may use you to refresh, renew and encourage a brother or sister in need.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: