Sunday, November 26, 2006

Facing a setback?

Good morning! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and were able to share the time with family friends. This week will be filled with many creative recipes for turkey, stuffing and mashed potato leftovers.

Have you ever been through a time where you were so certain that something was going to happen in your life and then it all fell apart right in front of your eyes? I think all of us have experienced this at one point or another in our lives. Bill Gothard refers to this as the “death of a dream.” Today I want us to focus is in on God’s plans for your life.

I was recently reading a book when I came across this simple but profound statement:

“Setbacks are often setups for God to act.” Chazown,Craig Groeschel. Sometimes God doesn’t give us what we think is best for us, because He has something better in mind. God often has to get our own plans, hopes, dreams, aspirations and pre-conceived notions out of the way, so that we can fully know and appreciate His perfect plan.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you, not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Jeremiah 29:11

Our perspective of life is so narrow. We can only see the past and the immediate future, but God sees eternity. He sees the beginning, the present and what lies ahead for all of eternity. We can trust in God’s directions for our life to be consistent with His perspective. When we come to the point of trusting God’s choices in our lives, then we can take comfort in the fact that even when our dreams fall apart…His best is yet to come.

Time and time again, I have watched God use some of the greatest setbacks in my life to set me up for some of the greatest victories I’ve ever experienced. But my dreams and aspirations had to die first. My agendas would have gotten in the way of God’s perfect plan. I would have settled for good, when what God really wanted to give me was the best.

Today you may be facing the death of a dream. I encourage you not to see this as a defeat, but instead look at your situation as preparation for things to come.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: