Monday, December 04, 2006

Be Still

Good morning! I hope you had a great weekend and are starting off this new week refreshed and energized.

This past week was the first week of deer hunting season here in Pennsylvania. The woods have been filled with hundreds of thousands of hunters seeking “the big one.” The men in my church are avid hunters and over the past few years they have taught me the finer points of deer hunting.

The greatest key to success for the hunter is to find a place of good vision and to be still. I have been amazed over the past few years as I have watched many dear literally walk up to me as I have sat motionless in the woods. Now for a guy like me, with ADD, sitting still is not easy task, but it is none the less critical if I am to have chance of even seeing any deer.

It is with this though of being still that I share with you this morning’s encouragement.

Psalm 37:7a (NLT)

Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act.

We live in a fast food, 24 hour, “get it now” kind of world. Instant gratification is not just a desire but a way of life. With the growth of the internet, anything you could ever want is only a mouse click away. In light of this instant gratification society, we find our greatest source of frustration in waiting. The bank, the DMV, the doctor’s office, the check out line at the local Wal-Mart…just the thought makes our blood pressure go up 10 points.

In all our constant movement I think we often miss out on what God is really trying to do in our lives. God has always spoken through His still, small voice. If you are not sitting still with your eyes and ears open, you could easily miss all that God is trying to say to you.

This past weekend, I went out into the woods and only after 5 hours of sitting still did the deer begin to walk up to me. As I sat motionless they not only walked up near me but even bedded down 15 feet behind me. Had I moved around or made noise, I would have never had the opportunity to see the beautiful creatures up close.

If you are having difficulty getting a grasp on God’s movement in your life right now, I encourage you to be still. Take some time out this week and go to a quiet place. Open your eyes, ears and heart and wait patiently for God to reveal Himself to you. You won’t be disappointed when He does. Notice I didn’t say “if He does.” The question is not a question of “if”, but only “when.” When the time is right, you will see the fullness of God’s presence in your life and circumstances.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: