Monday, June 04, 2007

Correction

Good morning! I hope your weekend was refreshing and that you find yourself energized this morning as you move into the new work week.

This past week my family and I took our summer vacation to northern New Mexico. I have always enjoyed going to the mountains and this vacation was no different. I am always awestruck by the awesome grandeur of God’s creation.

This trip for us was unique though, because we allowed our 16 year old to drive much of the journey. Christopher has been driving a little less than a year and this was his first experience with long haul highway driving and out of town driving.

Now Christopher is a good driver, for the most part, but there were times that I had to correct his driving behavior. Now I’m sure that Christopher didn’t find the correction to be real fun, but it kept him from killing us…so it was a critical and necessary part of the learning process.

Notice what the Bible says along these lines:

Proverbs 12:1 (NLT)

To learn, you must love discipline; it is stupid to hate correction.

None of us likes to face discipline or correction, but when we look back over our lives we find that some of our greatest learning experiences came from those times. As a child I learned respect for others on the receiving end of the paddle. It is a lesson that has stuck with me for life. In fact one of my stated core values is “people matter.” Even though I wasn’t appreciative of the spankings then, I’m eternally grateful for the lessons taught today.

By the same token, we need to realize that God also loves us enough to discipline us. There are times that if we were to continue our course uncorrected we would harm ourselves and possibly others with our reckless abandon. There are many times, when I have faced God’s tough hand of discipline, but I find that once again these have been some of my greatest experiences of personal growth.

Today you may find yourself on the receiving end of correction. Don’t get angry, but instead put on your pupil’s hat and learn the lessons well. You are being taught and molded for greater things.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: