Monday, January 07, 2008

The Joy of Commitment

Good morning! I hope you had a great weekend and that you have hit the ground running this morning.
Today is a special day for my wife and me. On this date 19 years ago my wife and I exchanged our wedding vows. 19 years and three kids later, she is still the love of my life and the person who makes me a much better man than I would be of my own accord.

My wedding anniversary has me thinking about the issue of commitment today. Commitment is an outward reflection of our underlying love and loyalty. We commit to those things that matter most in our lives.

Deuteronomy 30:20 (NLT)

Choose to love the Lord your God and to obey him and commit yourself to him, for he is your life. Then you will live long in the land the Lord swore to give your ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."

Commitment is also a choice. Every day we choose whether to honor the commitments we have made or whether to ignore them. We live in a world today where commitment is a rarity.

Commitment requires a deep resolve. For me faith is the centerpiece of my commitments. I have to draw upon the strength of my faith to keep me committed on those days where I just don’t want to. I have to allow God to hold me accountable for those promises and vows that I have made.

This week you may be working through your New Year’s resolutions. I want to challenge you to go deeper than resolution this year and instead choose deep commitment. You will be glad you did.

Until next Monday, may God’s richest blessings be yours this week.

Carl

No comments: